Change Management - Methodology
According to a Harvard Business Review study, 70% of Transformational Change programs fail because they have not mobilized and engaged people or succeeded in changing and sustaining the required behavior.
- Change Management is required when an organization
- Implementing New Processes
- Implementing New Technology
- Integrating an acquisition
- Straight Forward Change
- Transformational Change
Change Management is not the task of an isolated team nor is it ‘Changing the Management’. Every individual has a part to play to understand the change, communicate the change and action upon it. There are five key steps of implementing the changes from define the changes, generate sponsorship, develop users readiness, build an effective communication, and develop a reinforcement strategy.
Define The Change
- Create a shared vision for project or program end state and create common stakeholder understanding
- Clearly articulate what change means in terms of “the way we do business”.
- Identify how project or program will impact the business.
- Develop business readiness scorecard approach and survey.
- Define desired organization behaviors with new processes, practices, and expectations.
- Build Change Impact Assessment to mitigate the risks brought about by these changes.
- Define person with significant involvement and/or interest in success of the project in Stakeholder Management Plan.
- Define stakeholder type in Change Network Roles whether a person is ‘Sponsor’, ‘Advocate’, or ‘Change Agent’.
- Engage senior executives within an organization to confirm senior roles and responsibility to act as role model to effectively lead the change.
- Develop Change Management Plan comprises all change management activities required over the course of the project.
Develop User Readiness
- Checkpoint to measure stakeholder readiness.
- Business Readiness Survey are conducted to attain end users’ sentiment of the overall project.
- Conduct Change Impact Assessment and track action to close process gaps.
- Develop ‘Training Needs Assessment’ process assesses whether the workforces impacted by the project have the requisite knowledge and skills.
- Surface and manage resistance at all levels
Build Communication Plan
- Define a Communication Plan which is specific and relevant to internal and external stakeholder.
- Define a Change Network responsible for driving change through out an organization.
- Implement Stakeholder management plan and Communications plan.
- Engage Change Network and confirm commitments.
Develop Reinforcement Strategy
- Align rewards, penalties, and effort required to drive change.
- Identify conflict with unwritten rules.
- Implement and conduct reinforcement training plan and conduct training.
- Post go-live training refreshment.
- Define and track benefit tracking KPIs, reports and resource plan.
- Use the steps and tactics based on real situation.